- Purchase proper drinking water storage containers or use plastic containers that may be sterilized. Do not use old containers or soft drink containers. They are nearly impossible to disinfect. Thoroughly sterilize proper containers by washing them and rinsing well before filling.
- Another way to properly sterilize containers is by soaking them in a solution of one part liquid chlorine bleach to three parts water for several minutes.
- Fill containers completely with cold tap water.
- Seal the container tightly.
- Store in a cool dark area.
When properly stored, tap water will remain safe to drink indefinitely. Change your stored water supply at least once every month to ensure safety and freshness.
When the Company issues an advance warning of a possible interruption of your water service, fill available containers with water to supplement the water you have stored to last you the period of the interruption.